Cook County Jail Authors Program
May 30, 2018
Ceremony: 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Q&A with Authors: 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Cook County Jail Authors Program?
The Cook County Jail Authors Program is a 10-week intensive writing program where participants learn to “read as writers” as they author powerful memoirs, revise their works to consider their audience, engage in constant conversation with their peers to learn how to disagree peacefully as they give positive feedback and finally publish their work in the form of beautifully illustrated books.
No one under 18 can attend and only those cleared will be admitted.
Where will the ceremony take place?
The ceremony will take place at the Cook County Jail Division 10 — 2950 South California Avenue, Chicago Illinois. The entrance is located at 29th and California, south of the Main Gate Entrance.
Do I need to bring identification when I check in to attend the celebration?
Yes. Attendees must bring with them a current and valid photo identification showing your address (e.g., State ID, State driver’s license, passport/visa, recognized foreign consulate documentation, other government ID). The ID presented must match the name and ID provided to Program staff to RSVP your attendance to the ceremony.
Are there any limitations to what I can wear to the ceremony?
Yes Cook County Department of Corrections has limitations on what clothing can be worn by visitors to the jail. The following types of clothing are NOT ALLOWED:
- Short dresses, miniskirts or unduly revealing shorts;
- Low cut shirts and/or blouses;
- Sheer, transparent, net/mesh material pants and/or tops;
- Sleeveless t-shirts (no tank tops, “spaghetti” strap tops, halter tops or “tube tops”);
- Hats or caps worn in the facility;
- Clothing that exposes the stomach, back, shoulders, chest, buttocks, midriff or undergarments ;
- Any article that displays gang symbols, obscene or distracting messages, shapes or designs;
- Clothing resembling law enforcement/security uniforms or inmate uniforms;
- Pants that are worn below the waist and/or hips exposing undergarments (i.e. saggy pants).
Are there any limitations on what I can bring with me to the ceremony?
Yes there are. It is a criminal offense to bring contraband into the CCDOC compound. Visitors who bring, attempt to bring or leave an item of contraband in the CCDOC shall be charged criminally with “Bringing Contraband into a Penal Institution”, 720 ILCS 5/31A-1.1. Here is a list of prohibited items. Please look closely at the list prior to attending the April celebration. You will be denied entrance if you are found to have any of these items in your possession on April 26th.
- Weapons, explosive devices, ammunition or any item that could cause great bodily harm (e.g. TASERs, stun guns, firearms, grenades, bombshells)
- Imitation weapons, explosive devices or any item construed as a weapons
- Toxic hazardous materials or chemicals or any type
- Illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia
- Electronic devices (ex cell phones, CDs, DVDs, storage drives, flash drives, memory cards)
- Wearable electronic devices including smart watches
- Flowers (dried or fresh) weeds or foliage
- Pocket Knives
- Cell Phones
- Tobacco Products
- Music Players
- Nail files or nail clippers
- Insecticide, pesticide or herbicide
- Non-plastic eating utensils
- Wire, wire rope, rope string or twine
- Razors or razor blades
- Dental floss
- Steel, aluminum, aluminum foil, tin, or other metal object
- Wax, clay or any substance that could be used as a mold
- Glass or glass objects (other than prescription lenses)
- Glue, adhesive or making tape
- Plastic or metal instruments modified for use other than its intended purpose
- Maps or travel tickets (ex. airline, train, bus)
- Paper clips
- Radios or video recording devices
- Recording or pre recorded audio or video magnetic tapes
- Gambling devices (ex. poker chips, dice)